Each year, the U.S. Department of Energy designates October as National Awareness Month. During this time, public agencies, utilities and other organizations shine light on the importance of conserving energy. From replacing our home’s old lighting to opting for ENERGY STAR appliances, a number of energy-efficient alternatives exist that increase your family’s comfort while saving energy and money.
At ThompsonGas, we’re 100% committed to promoting energy-efficient options today that lead to a cleaner, greener tomorrow. One of the best ways we promote energy efficiency is through our propane services. With National Energy Awareness Month in full swing, there’s never been a better time to learn about and consider switching to propane.
Propane is a nontoxic, colorless, odorless and clean fuel. Neither the process by which propane is produced nor the combustion of propane gas produces significant acid rain contaminants. Burning a pound of propane gas releases less than half the amount of carbon dioxide than burning a pound of coal for electricity. Here’s why propane gas service is the better energy choice for your home, family and business.
• Propane appliances are 10-15% more efficient than oil and electric.
• Propane savings are $1.4 per gallon compared to oil and electric prices.
• Propane tankless water heaters heat water on demand and save families 10-20% of their daily water use.
• Propane furnaces can reach efficiency levels over 95%, while peak efficiency for an oil furnace is 80-85%. They have operating lives of 15-20 years — 10 years longer than electric heat pumps.
• Wood-burning fireplaces can lose as much as 90% of the heat they generate, but home propane fireplaces (and log sets) are up to 100% efficient.
• Propane is the efficient choice for cooking, outdoor heating and lighting, fireplaces, hot water, back-up generators and more for restaurants, hotels and other hospitality businesses.
• Propane is the clear choice for farmers and agriculture. Propane irrigation engines are 20-30% more efficient than older models. Farmers can also earn $2,500 toward the purchase of a new propane-fueled irrigation engine or lawn mower through the Propane FEED program.
• Propane for forklifts produce 19% fewer emissions than gasoline forklifts and 7% fewer emissions than diesel. They maintain consistent, 100% power throughout operation, with faster ground speeds than electric forklifts.
• For builders, propane is a smart choice for reducing homeowners’ energy costs. A propane home provides builders a competitive edge by offering their clients additional features like outdoor lighting and grills that run easily, efficiently and cost-effectively on propane.
• Propane reduces fleet maintenance costs and increases engine life.
• Compared to gasoline, propane emits 12% less carbon dioxide, 20% less nitrous oxide and up to 60% less carbon monoxide.
• More than 5 million gallons of diesel and gasoline are spilled or stolen each year. This is not possible with propane.