Grilled Pineapple & Black Bean Salsa, recipe c/o Grill Grrrl
Tailgating and grilling — two national pastimes made even better by propane.
Summer may be over, but don’t stow away your grill just yet. With fall football in full swing, it’s time to move the BBQ from your backyard to the parking lot. Next time you support your favorite team, pack up the party and your portable grill, and give one of these easy tailgating recipes a try.
Swiss Cheeseburger Sliders
Recipe c/o Food Network
Serving Size: 8 sliders
Vegetable oil, for brushing and coating grill
1 pound ground chuck
1 tbsp. kosher salt
1 ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
2 thin slices Swiss cheese, cut into small squares to fit sliders
8 slider buns, halved and slightly grilled
SLIDER TOPPINGS (optional)
Crisp, cooked bacon
Chive sour cream
Guacamole (prepared and chilled before tailgating)
Mayonnaise and ketchup mixture (½ mayonnaise and ½ ketchup)
Grilled pineapple slices
Black bean salsa
Pico de gallo salsa
- Heat home propane grill to medium heat (350 degrees F), and rub grate with a towel dipped in vegetable oil.
- In a large bowl, mix together the meat, salt and pepper until well combined. Shape into 8 (¼-inch thick) patties. (Note: This should be done prior to tailgating and should be chilled until ready to grill). Brush patties with vegetable oil when ready to prepare.
- Cook the patties until browned on first side, about 1-2 minutes. Flip, top with cheese, close grill top and cook until cheese is melted and patty is cooked through, about 1-2 more minutes.
- Serve patties on slider buns with optional toppings.
Grilled Pineapple & Black Bean Salsa
Recipe c/o Grill Grrrl
Serving Size: 4 people
1 pineapple, sliced into large pieces for grilling
1 (8 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 limes — one for in the salsa, one for presentation
¼ cup chopped cilantro
3 tbsp. chopped red onions
3 tbsp. chopped unsweetened coconut
1 tbsp. lime zest
Sea salt, to taste
- Prepare your residential propane grill for direct cooking on medium heat (350 degrees F). Coat grill grates with canola oil. Slice limes in half. Put pineapple slices, limes (citrus facing down) and jalapeno on grill. Grill for about 4-6 minutes.
- Combine black beans, onion, cilantro and coconut in mixing bowl. Once pineapple and jalapeno have cooled, chop pineapple into small pieces and add to bowl. Finely chop jalapeno, including seeds, and add to the mixture. Add juice of grilled lime as well. Zest your lime and add to mixture.
- Let the salsa chill in refrigerator at least an hour. Serve the dip with tortilla chips with second sliced limes as garnish.
Hot Quick Banana Boats
Recipe c/o Taste of Home
Serving Size: 4
4 large, unpeeled bananas
8 tsp. semisweet chocolate chips
8 tsp. trail mix
¼ cup miniature marshmallows
- Place each banana on a 12-inch square of foil. Crimp and shape foil around bananas so they sit flat.
- Cut each banana lengthwise about ½-inch deep, leaving ½ inch uncut at both ends. Gently pull each banana peel open, forming a pocket. Fill pockets with chocolate chips, trail mix and marshmallows.
- Grill bananas, covered, over medium heat for 4-5 minutes or until marshmallows are melted and golden brown. Serve in individual foil packet.
What’s your favorite tailgating grilling recipe? Share below or on our Facebook page.